Privacy of your personal information is an important part of our office providing you with quality health care. We understand the importance of protecting your personal information. We are committed to collecting, using and disclosing your personal information responsibly. We also try to be as open and transparent as possible about the way we handle your personal information. It is important to us to provide this service to our patients.
In this office, Dr. Michael Rodney acts as the Privacy Information Officer.
All staff members who come in contact with your personal information are aware of the sensitive nature of the information that you have disclosed to us. They are all trained in the appropriate uses and protection of your information.
Attached to this consent form, we have outlined what our office is doing to ensure that:
- Only necessary information is collected about you;
- Due to the multi-disciplinary health approach taken on by our clinic, we may share only necessary information among the other health professionals within our health network that would be directly involved in your case care for the purpose of improving efficiency and effectiveness of your treatments and care;
- We only share your information with your consent;
- Storage, retention and destruction of your personal information complies with existing legislation, and privacy protection protocols;
- Our privacy protocols comply with privacy regulations, standards of our regulatory body, the College of Chiropractors of Ontario, and the law.
Do not hesitate to discuss our policies with me or any member of our office staff.
Please be assured that every staff person in our office is committed to ensuring that you receive the best quality health care.
How our office collects, uses and discloses patient’s personal information
Our office understand the importance of protecting your personal information. To help you understand how we are doing that, we have outlined here how our office is using and disclosing your information:
This office will collect, use and disclose information about you for the following purposes:
- To deliver safe and efficient patient care
- To identify and to ensure continuous high quality service
- To assess your health needs
- To provide health care
- To advise you of treatment options
- To enable us to contact you
- To establish and maintain communication with you
- To offer and provide treatment, care and services in relationship to your neuromuscular skeletal care generally
- To communicate with other treating health-care providers, including specialists and people who have referred you to our facility
- To allow us to maintain communication and contact with you to distribute health-care information and to book and confirm appointments
- To allow us to efficiently follow-up for treatment, care and billing
- For teaching and demonstrating purposes on an anonymous basis
- For the collection of data by our colleges on an anonymous basis
- To complete and submit health claims for third party adjudication and payment
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements, including the delivery of patients’ charts and records to the college of chiropractors of Ontario in a timely fashion, when required, according to the provisions of the regulated health professions act
- To comply with agreements/undertakings entered into voluntarily by the member with the Colllege of Chiropractors of Ontario, including the delivery and/or review of patients’ charts and records to the college in a timely fashion for the regulatory and monitoring purposes
- To permit potential purchasers, practice brokers or advisors to evaluate the clinic
- To allow potential purchasers, practice brokers or advisors to conduct an audit in preparation for a practice sale
- To deliver your charts and records to the health practitioner’s insurance carrier to enable the insurance company to assess liability and quantify damages, if any
- To prepare material for the health professions appeal and review board
- To invoice for goods and services
- To process credit card payments
- To collect unpaid accounts
- To assist this office to comply with all regulatory requirements
- To assist this office to comply with any accreditation agencies (including but not limited to carf) for the purpose of improving quality care and efficiency of care
- To comply generally with the law
If a new purpose arises for the use and/or disclosure of your personal information, we will seek your approval in advance.
Your information may be accessed by regulatory authorities under the terms of the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) for the purposes of the College of Chiropractors of Ontario fulfilling its mandate under the RHPA, and for the defense of a legal issue.
Our office will not under any conditions supply your insurer with your confidential medical history. In the event this kind of a request is made, we will forward the information directly to you for review, and for your specific consent.
When unusual requests are received, we will contact you for permission to release such information. We may also advise you if such a release is inappropriate.
You may withdraw your consent for use or disclosure of your personal information, and we will explain the ramifications of that decision, and the process.